Thursday, November 18, 2010

GPEC v. MAG

Hello, all. I know it's been a while since my last post. I have been super busy trying to keep up with both of my internships as well as my school work. Crunch time is right around the corner and I'm getting ready to bite the bullett. I wanted to start off by letting you readers know how things are going. I've learned quite a bit my first month here at GPEC. The people are great and the atmosphere is fun. Things can get fast-paced at time but I do my best to keep up. I have been getting comfortable with using economic impact models as well as the ArcGIS mapping software. This is great because this experience gives me a better understanding of the field that I am pursuing in addition to public policy, Geographic Information Sciences. The big difference between the two organizations is the workplace culture, which in my opinion, has the greatest impact on its employees and their characteristics (i.e. productivity, motivation, attitudes, etc.). GPEC's culture is developed around a more private-sector point of view. Bottom-lines are important, as they are the first things that companies see when deciding on a city for their project. The goal of GPEC is to prove why Phoenix is the best place for that particular business. Results mean results, there is no in between. MAG has a very different setting. At an organization like MAG, transparency is a must. During economic recessions, people look for fat to cut. Governments must be as efficient as possible in addition to being cost-effective. When pressure is on and budgets are low, you can really feel it in the atmosphere. Although my department still runs through the same routines, the mood is one that seems to lack in excitment and drive. My project seems to have a low retention rate when trying to connect with stakeholders, as many of these stakeholders are reacting to budget cuts. Non-profits are definitely feeling the recession. As I send out mass emails on our mailing list, I can see the cuts that these organizations make on a day-to-day basis. This is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of any of the staff at MAG. I am priveledged to be able to work for such a great group of people in the Human Services department. I truely believe they are some of the most caring people in this city. I hope to being to work with them in the future.

Like I said, GPEC is intense. I have been assigned three new projects in the time it took me to write this paragraph. Ugh...



Nick

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick, sorry to hear about the budget cuts and its obvious impacts. Looks like your making the best out of a bad situation. On the bright side, hopefully this recession has forced the organization to operate more efficiently. So, when the economy does pickup, and budgets are revised upward, if needed, returns will be greater.

    ReplyDelete